View Single Post
(#142 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
OK. First, Please present the "LOGICAL REASON" why self-awareness matters to animals, and ONLY in case of babies other factors matter. It seems arbitrary to me and a lot of people.
It matters to SELF AWARE animals the same reason it would matter to you if some Alien species came down to Earth, started rounding up Japanese people and then started stabbing them in a head with a giant spear. Because HUMANS are self aware animals too.

Quote:
And secondly, you just conceded to dolphin hunting. I have noticed that you have never once mentioned a particular species. You have been saying "whales" are self-awere. The truth is Cetacea (Whale and Dolphin) is a large biological group (Order), equivalent of Cetruminantia, which contains species like cow and giraffe.

Even the case of possibly the smartest Cetacea, Bottlenose dolphin, whether or not they are self-aware is a controversy.

Project Delphis: Evidence of Self-Awareness in the Bottlenose Dolphin
Are we reading the same thing? I think the tests show that they are self aware. The conclusion even says that although it doesnt prove that they are self aware, the tests make a compelling argument that they are. That is enough for me... as the only way you can PROVE a dolphin is self aware is if the dolphin starts speaking a human language.

The only people it is a controversy to are the nationalistic Japanese who want to retain their "culture" or people in the industry perhaps.

Quote:
Dall's Porpoise is not a species known for their intelligence, at least not as smart as Bottlenose dolphin, and there is no evidence they are self-aware, not to mention Minke whales. As Taichi stopped hunting Bottlenose dolphins, according to your logic, the case is over. There is no issue with Japanese dolphin hunting.
IF that is the case, then the species Taiji are hunting are fine. I wouldnt eat it but if stupid people want to eat food laced with mercury in Japan then that is up to them.