View Single Post
(#144 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
It matters to SELF AWARE animals the same reason it would matter to you if some Alien species came down to Earth, started rounding up Japanese people and then started stabbing them in a head with a giant spear. Because HUMANS are self aware animals too.
You've just said in the case of humans, there are more than self-awareness. So Please ask your Alians to return to their mother planet. I hope by alien you didn't mean me, because I'm legally alien here in the states.

I asked for the "logical reason" why self-awareness matters solely to animals, and ONLY in the case of human babies other factors matter. But in the following sentences, it seems we finally have a common ground, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Are we reading the same thing? I think the tests show that they are self aware.

The conclusion even says that although it doesnt prove that they are self aware, the tests make a compelling argument that they are.

That is enough for me... as the only way you can PROVE a dolphin is self aware is if the dolphin starts speaking a human language.

The only people it is a controversy to are the nationalistic Japanese who want to retain their "culture" or people in the industry perhaps.

IF that is the case, then the species Taiji are hunting are fine. I wouldnt eat it but if stupid people want to eat food laced with mercury in Japan then that is up to them.
If you tell dog owners that their dogs aren't self-aware, hence it is OK to eat them, I don't think they will agree with you. Your idea of self-awareness isn't that persuasive even in the English speaking countries. But that's just my opinion. Anyway, as Taichi stopped hunting Bottlenose dolphins, it seems you can finally sleep easy. Just one thing. Please think about it. Did you feel I am a nationalistic Japanese from my posts before you engage in this debate? Why is it we have no Japanese supporting you here? I've seen a Japanese regular, Sashimister, expressing contempt for anti-whaling activists in another thread too. Please think about it. I believe ultimately it's good for you and your cause.

Last edited by cranks : 09-04-2010 at 10:53 PM.