View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MidnightSun (Offline)
New to JF

09-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
As far as music goes, it depends on what kind of music you are talking about. Big Japanese pop/rock acts? Jazz? Metal? The John Denver cover band? Shoegaze? Punk? There is so much music to be found and sometimes the venues are hard to locate. If you can be more specific about music type you might get more pointers.

You can try searching for some things here:

Metropolis Magazine | Japan's Number 1 English Magazine

And here:

Tokyo Gig Guide

My suggestion would be to read some reviews, listen to some of the bands at LastFM or something and then see who is touring when you get there.
Hi edelweiss: I'm a big fan of J-pop and soft J-rock: Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Aya Hirano, Namie Amuro, Scandal, Koda Kumi, Yui, Miwa, Girls Dead Monster, Flow, Gackt, fripside, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Morning Musume, Uverworld, Do As Infinity, Stereopony, Tommy Heavenly6, etc. I'd love to see any of these acts if possible, i gather that some are quite mainstream. Thanks for the links, they look very helpful regarding music tour dates, if you know of any more websites i'd love to hear about them

godwine: thanks for your suggestions on places of interest. I'm very tempted by the overnight train journey to Sapporo. I was also hoping to begin towards the south of the country as you said, and "follow" the cherry blossoms to the north, and then come back down afterwards. I know the cherry blossom dates vary year on year, but i'm hoping i can catch some big cities in full bloom.

RTyokohama: thanks for your information on the Japanese hornets - from the responses i have received so far, it seems they wont be too much of a problem but i will be careful if exploring rural and remote areas.