View Single Post
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
Jpop stars sometimes do go to Korea but non are popular. Korea is anti-Japanese,
Kpop stars can come to Japan and have some success because Japan isn't anti-Korean.
(It's not meant to be a racist statement-its just fact. )
I don't agree. Korea is not anti-Japanese. There may be a trend of Japanese dislike under certain circumstances, but that's not exactly the same thing. In any case, Japan also has it's own share of prejudice; the hate doesn't travel one way.

There's a reason why Japan as a nation is somewhat unpopular among other East-Asian countries. Refer to WW2. It's easy to dismiss things that happened a "long" time ago as unimportant. But if you lived through it - and we're only now reaching the generations that are untouched by the war - it probably wouldn't be so easy to forgive and forget. I'm not saying it's right to hold a grudge. I'm not saying it's wrong either... Who am I to criticize people who've witnessed what I couldn't fathom on my own.

If Korea is not disuaded from seeking the support of Japanese audiences, I'm curious to know just how much influence their prejudice amounts to. Has it not occured to anyone that Japan's somewhat unique pop culture has it's limits when reaching out to, specifically, Korea. Economic value can be a factor also, but I'm not willing to disqualify taste as an issue, just yet. We are talking about entertaintment, after all; taste is always an issue.

In the end, when watching Korean and Japanese programs and movies, I can appreciate the occassional references made about one-another in positive lights. It's only television, but it still represents, to me, how much closer the remaining conflicts are to being forgotten. And I'd take that over nothing, any day.