View Single Post
(#52 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 06:42 PM

^ It shouldn't be a Korean thread in the first place. This is Japanforum so beyond comparing size of kpop to Jpop, anything else should be taken to a Korean forum.

The Answer to the OP's question is Jpop is way bigger. Japan's music industry is second biggest in the world(U.S. is number one)

I don't remember Korean even in the top five. That's the bottom line.

Someone posted about 1000 people at the korean concert in L.A. I saw local news coverage of that. The audience was all Koean-Americans! There is a huge Korean population in America Vs a small Japanese population. Look at the size of Ktown Vs Jtown.

Argument like the above are suspect to circumstance.
Other weak arguments are:

1) Kpop is all over youtube
There is more Korean stuff on youtube then Japanese stuff in general,not just music. Youtube participation is not demographically equal. the logical reason is there is more Koreans doing youtube than Japanese. Japanese are isolated to the Japanese language parts of the internet. The English speaking Japanese internet community is small.

2) Kpop and Kdramas are on TV in SEA and other countries. Things get on TV by TV stations paying licensing fees. The combination of entertainment value and price is what seals the deal. Japanese TV is not willing to lease out their shows for cheap, they make enough money at home and don't care to sell abroad.

Now with that said, with exposure comes more popularity so I thing the Korean media is making smart moves. They may very will take over the spot of second largest music industry in the world at some future date. As of today, the facts say Jpop is bigger.