View Single Post
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
Now with that said, with exposure comes more popularity so I thing the Korean media is making smart moves. They may very will take over the spot of second largest music industry in the world at some future date. As of today, the facts say Jpop is bigger.
I agree 100%. That was exactly my original point in this thread.
Jpop, right now, is obviously bigger in comparison. It seems Kpop is just growing at a considerable rate.

Japan is more well known in general, so naturally its entertainment industry would have a broader influence. Its music is also supported by things like Anime, which also attracts a lot of attention. Initially, considering the rate at which Korean music is establishing its identity, it may seem like it will easily outgrow Jpop. But Jpop has been well-known for a while... it probably won't be so simple.

Quote:
The audience was all Koean-Americans!
Was there some sort of poll at the concert regarding ethnicity?

You can ask a non-Asian person if they know much about Japanese pop culture. The chances are, if they're not really familiar with Japan, they'll still be able to mention some generic qualities associated with it (e.g. Anime, spikey-hair, make-up, etc.). Regardless of whether they're particularly enthusiastic about Japanese culture, they'll still likely have some general knowledge. However, it would be different if you were to ask about Korean pop culture. Right now, the things with the highest possibility of being mentioned would be Wonder Girls, Rain, or BoA... But, even then, the chances are slim.

My point is, at the moment, Kpop seems to be growing in popularity among Asians, primarily. The reason why I'd scrutinize an observation such as the one I quoted from your post, is because, unless there was a poll regarding ethnicity, there may have been a few hundred Japanese, Chinese, SEA's, Taiwanese among the crowd... And that would make that statement hardly based upon actual facts.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 09-11-2010 at 03:20 AM.