View Single Post
(#91 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Is the OP asking how he should dress as a 二世? Why are you endorsing the idea that foreigners should try and assimilate and pretend they are Japanese? Should foreigners in Japan get Japanese haircuts, imitate the same expressions, take on the same postures, and copy the same clothing?
It's what NORMAL people do when they go to live in a foreign country. It's what the people of the host country expects out of foreigners. What part of this don't you get??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
When I see foreigners in America doing this I find it quite odd. I would think Japanese people would find the same thing just as odd.
You can't be living in America. Beyond FOBs, everyone assimilates here. Regardless of race, you can tell in 3 minutes if the guy has been in the states long. I'm not saying the races interacted a lot, America is not a melting pot. But, beyond skin color, everyone here is the same: hair styles all the same, clothing style is the same, people all act the same, they talk about the same news. Skin color is the only thing that stands people apart.