(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
@fatalbert130
Good point about nunchaku. I've seen Chinese Boxing books include the nunchaku and Tonfa as traditional Chinese Kung Fu weapons. Things do get mixed up sometimes.

@Godwine
What is your opinion of "leathal techiniques"? I mean like those Din Mak points karate got from Chinese boxing. First , let me say I'm a bit skeptical. Coming from a Muay Thai( some BJJ ) back ground, I understand that martial arts can kill people. A person can be killed by an elbow at the back of the neck or skull. A person can be killed by throwing him down so his head smashes against something hard, or Choking someone to death. But beyond the obvious that are banned from profession sports like MMA, I don't think Din Mak really exist. What is your experience on the subject? Is Din Mak only taught to advanced karateka? Or is the subject gone from modern karate?
To me the technique of dim mak does exist, just not the way how its being portrayed in movies and tv shows. We have a lot of pressure point and meridian in our body, certain tendon or nerve root could cause prolonged numbness, so i am sure if you strike it hard enough and accurate enough, it can do some serious damaage, but not to a point where the guy will die instantly or his head explode, but maybe to paralyze a certain part temporarily. My accupunture therapist used a techniue with his needle that completely disabled lower body movement temporairly so that he can treat a sciatica that I had. If someone has strong enough finger and insane accuracy can stab me really really hard at the same place, i am sure it can do some crazy damage....

As far as I know the practice of dim mak does not exist in karate, not nowadays anyays. Some discipline practice the spear hard (stabbing with the index and middle finger) on the makiwara, but i don't think the use of strenghtening the fingers in Karate has anything to do with Dim Mak. Dim mak require precise accuracy and power, the practice in Karate produces the power, but not the accuracy

Dai sensei always said - master the basic and you master the art, and to us the basic are the few strikes and kick, and some very very limited grappling

I am going to aruge the tonfa cliam a little, though i do agree that the Nunchuku was originated from Okinawa. Tonfa was originated either from China or India.. its one of the more original "weapons" the monk practice with when they needed something for the purpose of self defense. I strongly believe this cliam, because if you look at both Kobudo and Karate (Rarely in Karate), the use of Kama, Sai, Bo and Nunchuku is very very mature, but the use of the tonfa is very limited.

Last edited by godwine : 09-16-2010 at 07:28 PM.