(#12 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Th
In Kumite we fight bare-fisted and a full force clenched fist to the head will injure your hand as much as the opponents head unless it is dead on target. The hand is full of fragile bones that can break easily and the human head is surprisinly harder than it looks.
Yeah, that's why MMA uses gloves now. It started barefisted but people were injuring their hands. Now the elbow...there's something that can take a lot of punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
The second reason is that you don't want a dojo full of braindead students. Muay Thai is a sport and a way of fighting and I respect it a lot. Karate is a way of fighting that also has a sport element but (as you probably already know) Karate also emphasises health and good character aswell. Repeated hitting to the head does damage to your brain... especially bare-fisted. Of course kicking to the head is allowed... but it happens infrequently enough for it to be OK I think.
People in my gym aren;t that brain dead. I'm fine. watch, 2+2=5 right?

I hear you.
Good reasons for not punching the face but I do think they affect how one fights.
but I've seen the Kyukushinkai Championships several times(if that's what they are called) and I can't help but come to the conclusion that Bare-fist no face affects how they fight. Like a common strategy is to push forward while throwing fist and low kicks. But, I never had a street fight with a Kyokushinkan Karateka so I can't really talk of their effectiveness. They should hold gloved matches separate from the bar-knuckled ones. Also, It would be nice to watch a good Kyokushinkan guy in MMA, see how he works out.

@Godwine
I always thought the Tonfa was Okinawan. I read in books several times.
But your logic is sound. I wonder if that spear hand method really can happen? Like spearing your hand into someones body. If, possible, that would be a deadly technique. Is there any record of someone mastering it?