View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

changes in the English Language - 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM

As there are a few lessons going on re - ENGLISH LANGUAGE

I thought perhaps a thread about the ongoing use and changes of English language maybe useful.

I notice that here in UK we seem to invariably pick up many americanisms almost without realising it .

"Something Else" became common for a while then it arrived here. Meaning that something was very special or "Cool." Now many youngsters refer to something being "Wicked" in other words it is "Great" or "fabulous" Maybe NOw "AWESOME" is Popular.

"Brill" or Brilliant was very common at one time also. we might have once said it was FANTASTIC.

I am fascinated with the constant changes of language and the influence of America in particular-- due, I suspect to the amount of American programmes shown here in UK.

MY ears tell me that we Brits speak quite differently from Americans.

Some of our spelling differs also.

One recent expression that surprises me is that when asking some one how they are? they will often say "GOOD>" Now === we always would have answered "I'm fine thanks." or "Not too bad thankyou--------why GOOD? surely "Good" means ones Behaviour.

Maybe some young members can fill me in with some modern expressions of which I am ignorant. I have six gr. children but they Have their own language ha ha.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-24-2010 at 02:23 PM.