View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
ive been studying japanese for some 3 weeks now. i know hiragana and half of katakana and some basic expressions. so..in order to practice writing faster and the overall language i would really appreciate if someone could drop me a link with simple stories in a CORRECT romanji? for me to to rewrite the whole thing in hiragana for practice.

i could use some stories in hiragana also. to practice reading and the words themselves.

well. thanks to anyone who responds
Well... you could, but honestly, blindly copying a story from romaji to hiragana isn't going to teach you much. besides, ~which~ 'correct' romaji. There's numerous systems, all of them supposedly 'correct'. Either way, you'll still only be thinking of hiragana in single units. Better to learn words and then write them in hiragana/katakana as you do so. You'll understand how they construct pronunciation better, and work together to make a word. You'll also then have a useful vocab word you can associate the hiragana with, like "ok, i need to write this new word 'meshi'... so i'll need the hiragana for 'me'...oh, it's like 'me' in 'megane'. And then 'shi' just like in 'shibuya'. Easy!" rather than "I need to write this new word 'meshi'....now is that the squirly one with the curl, or the squirly one with the loop?"

If you do go down this route, study about 8-10 words at a time, and in this order for each new word (it's the most efficient method, really):
Look at the meaning in English.
Study the pronunciation (IE LISTEN to the word being said. repeat it a few times until you get it right)
THEN look at the writing. Seriously, DON'T look at the text first, it will throw you off how to say the word correctly as you'll automatically read it from an English Language perspective.
Finally, check the meaning again.

This will benefit your learning 100x more than just copying out sounds to make words and grammar you don't fully understand yet.