View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2010, 10:16 AM

You just don't call your girl "sugar" or "honey" or whatever common noun in general in Japan. Of course, everybody has their own taste, so some Japanese girls may love to be called Bijin, especially in English in which case they know that the cultural norm is different, but usually it sounds pretty shallow and frivolous in Japan.

I'm not at all a lady's man, but I'm Japanese and have gone out with like a half dozen Japanese girls, and for all of them, I came up with some nicknames out of their own names, for example if she was Saori, I'd call her like Sao-chan, Sao, Sah-chan, etc, I'd even use their last name to compose something that sounds good but I don't just go for the name of something that is physically sweet. Sugar and honey are sweet, yeah, but that's too direct. There are a lot of nicknames for girls in famous Japanese classic literatures like Genji Stories from 11th century and a lot of them are like flowers and stuff, so I guess I can pull it off if I'm really smart and able to present myself a really intelligent man, but I can't be spending THAT much effort coming up with girls' nicknames so I just stick with just modifying their real names.

Anyway, I'm very cautious about using "Omae", though I use it quite a lot depending on the situation. It shows a bit of dominance, or strong intimacy, which is good when used properly but it can be taken as arrogance if you don't know what you are doing.

Last edited by cranks : 09-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.