(#10 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
There are some habits we have here in parts of UK such as Putting the word _LIKE- in-between many sentences-- I personally find it most irritating-- Also many people-- possibly even myself will also keep adding "YOU KNOW what I mean-- Over and over again-- it drives me mad.

Its all too easy to develop these bad habits isn't it.
*laughs* this is great, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it irritating. That "like" habit was influenced from the Americans, wasn't it? My Canadian friend uses it a lot, so that could be it. Every youngster in my country, like, uses it, he he. Even those who are beginners to English are being influenced to a significant extent. I think "like" is a substitute/alternative for "erm" or "um", due to lack of something to say or a stall for time to think about the next thing to say. "you know what I mean" is sort of assertive and directive toward the recipient's subconsciousness, making it interpret your message as something obvious, right? At least, that's what I think it does/means.

One I like in particular:

"shut up!" = sarcastic exclamation, which is now used in a very normal tone, as if to say "i don't believe it!" with a "tell me more!" connotation.

Now, there's also the internet lingo that's used very often, even outside of the P.C.

@noodle hear, hear!!

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.