View Single Post
(#901 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-30-2010, 06:24 AM

Hi. This is my answer to a question from my friend.
Could someone correct my English?

“Offensive People”

This is the second question from TheContract318.

TheContract318 : My second question is a cultural question. From what I hear, many times foreigners can be very obnoxious and/or offensive to the native Japanese. I am personally not an obnoxious person and keep to myself, however I was wondering what things you notice that foreigners do (or fail to do) that may be rude or offensive. I really do not want to offend people and want to do things the Japanese way as much as possible, that is outside of my own living quarters when others are not affected (I will still behave western when I'm at home alone in my pajamas).

Answer : It’s true that some people from foreign countries are making trouble. There are two kinds of major trouble. Noise and trash.

Some easy-going people from other countries sing or play music loudly at night. The Japanese people don’t understand why they do like that. It’s really rude here, but they say it’s their culture. We believe they should obey Japanese culture while they are in Japan. When we grumble about the noise, most of they don’t understand the Japanese language, or don’t try to understand what we say. So, we really hate them.
By the way, you can’t speak using a mobile phone while in a train and a bus. You should keep quiet.

About trash. I think the ways of collection of garbage are depend on the country. You might agree with me that you should observe the local rules when you move in a foreign country. However, there always exist some easy-going people. Since they don’t care about collection day that they are called to be rude. I think the roads of their home country must be full of garbage and they recognize it’s natural.

I’m sure that the best way to be good is learning the language, and always try to understand the local people.

Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP