View Single Post
(#906 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Today, 08:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro
Hi. This is my answer to a question from my friend.
Could someone correct my English?

“Offensive People”

This is the second question from TheContract318.

TheContract318 : My second question is a cultural question. From what I hear, many times, foreigners can be very obnoxious and/or offensive to the native Japanese. I, personally, am not an obnoxious person and keep myself to myself. However, I was wondering what things you notice that foreigners do (or fail to do) that may be rude or offensive. I really do not want to offend people and want to do things the Japanese way as much as possible, that is, outside of my own living quarters when others are not affected (I will still behave western when I'm at home alone in my pajamas).

Answer : It’s true that some people from foreign countries are causing trouble. There are two kinds of major trouble. Noise and trash.

Some easy-going people from other countries sing or play music loudly at night. The Japanese people don’t understand why they do BEHAVE like that. It’ SEEMS really rude here, but they say it’s their culture. We believe they should obey Japanese culture while they are in Japan. When we grumble about the noise, most of them don’t understand the Japanese language, or don’t try to understand what we say. So, we really hate (You may wish to use 'dislike' here, if you don't want to sound too harsh) them.
By the way, you can’t speak on a mobile phone while in a train and a bus. You should keep quiet.

About trash. I think the ways of collection of garbage are dependENT on the country. You might agree with me that you should observe the local rules when you move inTO/ a foreign country. However, there always existS some easy-going people. (MAYBE (THOUGHTLESS or SELFISH PEOPLE Since they don’t care about collection day, they are said to be rude. ( I would say they are selfish rather than RUDE. I think the roads of their home country must be full of garbage and they recognize / THINK ITS NORMAL it’s natural. simply put-- some people are LAZY.

I’m sure that the best way is to (DO YOUR BEST) try to learn the language and try to understand the local people. is learning the language, and always try to understand the local people. Try to fit in with your neighbours

Thank you.

The first paragraph where you say 'you notice that foreigners do' is fine, but if you use the past-tense it would be 'what things you have noticed that foreigners do'. Just unsure of what tense your aiming for here.

Unsure about 'There are two kinds of major trouble', but I can't think of any other way to put it.

Tried to correct this the best I can. I'm sure other people may find points I missed. Quite a fasinating read. I see the point and underastand fully the 'anger' local people may feel towards 'lazy' foreigners who can't be bothered to adapt their ways for the country and the culture. Anyway, hope this helps.

PS YURI-- Not all people are selfish but we also suffer from certain people who play their music at all hours with no consideration for others. There is a noise abatement Act-- but it is hard to put into action. Its NOTHING to do with culture when people act irresponsibly-- THey are totally selfish and don't care about their neighbours--But it is not culture by any means.

wherever people live they need to try to get along with neighbours and not make a nuisance of themselves.Unfortunately-- some people simply do not care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-30-2010 at 02:44 PM.