View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mira (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
If I may add to the conversation, I have a few things to say. First, it's best if you don't get so worked up about being called a liar over the internet. For one, you have only 23 posts, so you're an unknown quantity. Also, taking an aggressive tone is not going to make you any friends here.

Sashimister is just suspicious because we get a bunch of people who talk a big game about their japanese skills. Perhaps you can understand how frustrating it would be to have people who claim to be fluent giving bad advice to forum members with honest questions. Come across enough people who lie about their abilities and anyone would have a bit of a short fuse with people who appear to be misrepresenting their abilities. If you want help, my best suggestion is to just forget about it and show some humility when asking for help (I don't mean to sound aggressive when I say that, by the way).

As to your japanese question, ほど does mean extent or degree, like Jesselt said, but I doubt you'll ever find a translation that literal.

If I was to make part of the phrase just '切ないほど懐かしい' then I'm fairly sure it would mean something along the lines of 'So reminiscent it's heartrending'. 切ないほど is 'To the extent that something is heartrending/painful'. To put this into perspective (and intentionally ignoring なぜか because... well... I'd feel more comfortable trying to understand it if I had more context, but not with just this at my level), I would say the phrase is something like 'So reminiscent that it should hurt'. As always, if a more fluent speaker corrects me, go with their corrections.
I understand. I know he has a right to be suspicious but he doesn't know me. I for cannot stand annoying people who claim they are "fluent" when they aren't or can only say simple things like "the cat ate a banana" or something.

My goal is to learn real modern Japanese and be able to completely understand Japanese movies, music, and most importantly people who I will meet in the future. And I have done my best to accomplish this goal so far. I am not fluent, but I can speak and understand a lot. I have been learning Japanese since I was a little kid, my older sister can speak it. So I have had a lot of experience with it and will continue to.

Trust me DO understand how frustrating it can be. I have had to deal with countless people, in Japanese classes, in school, online and everywhere, who 1. cannot understand or speak hardly anything and if they can it has to be spoken very slowly or simply.

And 2. cannot write even any kana letter and cannot pronounce Japanese right.
I am going by my own experiences, I was in Japanese classes where I was the youngest one because I was 15 and they were all in their 20's and I always had to help some people and always got a really bad partner who had no idea what was going on. I constantly had to hear annoying rambles of anime and manga and no real talk about Japanese.

I hate people who only care about watching anime so they try to learn Japanese and they go around saying "Kawaii" and think they know how to speak it.

I can't stand those kind of people and I would feel ashamed and embarrassed if I ever acted like that.
Thank you for your answer.