View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 09:26 PM

If you wait till you know kanji to start reading you are wrong
Buy a book get a good dictionary and a good Kanji dictionary. Translate the kanji, but my suggestion is not to write the meanings on the book, on the contrary write the furigana. That will teach you to appreciate particularly (NOT) how small they write books in Japan LOL not much room to write furigana.

Reading soon is very important trust me. Learning Japanese is not just a matter of learning rules, but a mentality. The way of writing is very different and reading Japanese will require by your side a different way of thinking. They all say Japanese starts with a subject and ends with a verb...but there is much more to it. Even a simple phrase such as "all fathers love their kids" will surely appear in a different shape. I bet you would find something like "fathers, all own kids love" or something in that color, while we would immediately try to write something like all fathers kids love.

I might be wrong, but trust me, reading their books will teach you much more than grammar (and even if you don't understand everything, it is ok).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ