View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ansem (Offline)
New to JF

Winterbreak trip, need host family - 11-03-2010, 08:35 PM

I've been trying to self study japanese for a while, and i decided this to go over this winter break for a week of 2 or 3 to go check out some universities and to get a taste of the culture.
My penpal promised me that a friend of him would be able to take care of me, but before any planning began, he had to move to america to take care of his ill father, i haven't heard from him since, this is more then 2 months ago.

I've been having lots of trouble finding new contacts, in the end i went looking for organizations, but they would either demand insane fees ( i'm not paying 3500 euro for 2 weeks !!! ) or they would offer things similar to a bed and breakfast, which is not what i want, if i want to sit in a small hotel i'll go to france...

Today i came across this site, which i hope can help me with this issue ( and hopefully any other help i'll need in the future, whether it's with the language or any other advices such as studying abroad ).

I'd simply like a casual family who would be willing to take me in as a member for a week of 2 or 3.

Dates are ranging from 17 december to 3nd of january, perhaps a week added to it before or after...

I'd prefer somewhere on the countryside, as i dislike big cities.
I'd also like to visit Hyogo, as i know they have the Hyogo university of Teacher education there ( My dream is to become a teacher in japan ).

Hopefully anybody can help me out with this, if i get a confirmation from a host family, i can book the ticket and it's all set.

If required, fees are negotiable.
Best regards, Robin de Wit, 18 years old, Netherlands.
I already had a long discussion with my parents about it, and they finally agreed i may go, so it would be a shame if i wasn't able to and miss out this chance the most beautiful country in the world. ( in my honest opinion ).

PS:
This is my last year of high school, in the netherlands we have a weird education system.
So i must still check if i either have to do a year at a "hoge school" here to get university access or that i have it already... ( reason i say "hoge school" is as it means high school, in english, but the english equivalent of high school is the middle school in our country" ).
If i want to go to university, ( i want to become a teacher ), i must attend 1 year at such a 'high school' to get what we call a propadeuze, this means you may go to university, that way you can in the end even give class at universities, if not, i would only be allowed to university.
Although if i would say go to america or canada, my HAVO diploma is sufficient.
So i'm still waiting for my reply from the ministery of education on whether or not my diploma will be sufficient for studying in Japan, else it'll just be an extra year ^^.

Last edited by Ansem : 11-03-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: I talk tooo much, ごめんなさい