View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
You've had some good ideas, Columbine. Any chance I could steal some lesson plans from you if you still have them? What were the most popular Myths/Legends?

lol Chryuop I know what you mean with them being mesmorised, it was amazing to see their faces when they were gawping at a poster I designed as a flyer for the class. Classic.

Thanks everyone! Anymore ideas are welcome!
Unfortunately, all the lesson plans are hard-copy only and kept by my colleague so I don't think I could manage you a full copy of one. I can give you some tips on how to write your own if you like though. It's pretty straight forward.

We did Journey to the West (heavily abridged!), ojizousama http://life.ou.edu/stories/kasakojizou.html, Amerterasu and who some of the gods are, and then various short bits about different monsters (you can google most of them). We did a little thing focussing Kappa and a survival guide on how to deal with them, which was really fun! If you can find a copy, there's a little folk-tale about a sparrow prince that's quite nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Anyway with just 3 or 4 lessons they didn't even touch the kana (I doubt the teacher knew them anyway). They would just introduce some basic greetings and introductory phrase, asking and thanking...this sorta things. LOL when they did Italian he corrected his teacher coz he heard the correct words directly from me...so please don't teach wrong Japanese
Ours is a year-round club so we actually get to see a bit of progress over the terms, which is nice. Tends to go quite slow though. As you say, they're good at picking up words, but they forget them really easily by the next week, so we have to recycle a lot. We always show them the kana, so they see them and know that they're used, but we tend to avoid them trying to copy japanese characters off the board because we end up stuck on the first slide and then they have a bunch of stuff they can't read in the end, when they need useful notes. Occasionally though we do let them have a chart to try transliterating words that they already know in romaji.

As if I would EVER allow incorrect Japanese! *horrors* That's part of my role as it happens. The kids asked for the club and the resident Modern Langauge teacher agreed. He speaks a bit of Japanese but not that much; I'm there to model the accent (as best I can. I'm not great, but my accent isn't anywhere near as harsh) and pretty much double check what goes into the lesson is correct.