View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-10-2010, 07:03 AM

There are fewer crimes in general, so more forces to dedicate to solving them. The typical police force in the US, for example, solves more crime per person by the numbers but a lower percentage by the actual number of crimes. Also, the severity of Japanese crime tends to be much lower so it`s easy to dedicate a force to every severe or violent crime.

As for whether the conviction rate is the actual rate of solving crime - I seriously doubt it. Conviction refers to the number actually brought to court. I have a feeling this may drop as juries are being used more and more these days. There is also the question of "Are all convictions guilty?" - but there is no easy way to test that.

I would say that the Japanese police force, in general, is kind of slow and bumbling. However, thanks to the low number of crimes, they can bring in special forces when anything serious happens - leaving only the minor stuff to the average guys.

When it comes to something like in the video - the police likely wouldn`t even do anything at all. In general, it has been found that chasing these guys usually ends with them or someone else dead / injured... And that it is safer just to leave them be. When a someone dies on a motorcycle during a police pursuit, the police tend to be considered at fault - this in one of the big reasons that police usually don`t pursue motorcycles unless the rider is already wanted for some other unrelated crime.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.