View Single Post
(#62 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-14-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
You think? So why do people even bother? What's the use of university then, if -according to you- people leave uni not being well-prepared to enter the working world? I believe in meritocracy too, but let's be real, not everyone has what it takes to go through a degree. If you were dying and your only chance at surviving was to have surgery, would you let anyone operate on you? I'm guessing you'd want a good surgeon, and if you knew that surgeon had excellent grades and was the best student in his class at med school, you'd feel more confident about letting him slice you open. Right? or would you go "your degree and accreditations do not show the amount of knowledge you have in your brains, I want another surgeon"?
I think? No, I don’t think. I’m just here yapping away for the sake of it.
People bother because they want to attain knowledge (or at least that’s what I’d like to believe) not because they want that piece of paper. But the reality of the matter is that people are there to get a degree because society deemed it necessary to have that piece of paper despite whether or not you have the knowledge/experience/can prove yourself. It’s very easy for any Tom, Dick or Harry to get that piece of paper (no offense to any actual Tom, Dick or Harry that may read this). Already, you have people in this forum who are skilled at various things going through school because they HAVE to, not because they WANT to. Their efforts, their experience, their knowledge is under threat/ means next to nothing unless they have that degree. This is a massive flaw in the educational/career system if you ask me. Especially when this paper does nothing except prove that you got it.

Oh and by the way, if I was dying and my only chance at survival was to have surgery, I’d be looking at the surgeon’s success rate. Not his/her college degree and definitely not at his/her grades. You can have a self-taught doctor -- with a degree from a third-world university that teaches next to nothing, mind you -- be more successful than the plaque-hanging Harvard graduate. That’s why internships exist ….especially in the medical field. You can have all the knowledge in the world and the degrees to point to it, but if the mortality rate skyrockets in your hands….then what? It’s okay… because you sir/ma’am, have that piece of paper? Same theory applies to lawyers, educators, artists, managers …you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Think that'd be valid if someone said 'degrees are everything' but nobody did.

I don't know why it's experience OR a degree. It's possible to gain both.

You can get a degree without experience but a lot of the time you can't get experience without a qualification (not specifically a degree, but any qualification) so obviously they are always worth doing.
Although I agree with most of your post. I have to point to a few things that lead me to my p.o.v. Why exactly do you need a degree/qualification when it proves nothing than the fact you have it. Whether you earned it or just coasted your way to it is anyone’s guess.

And also, why does it have to be “experience and a degree?” Why can’t it be “experience and education?” This is exactly the point I’ve been trying to make. A lot of people associate that paper with education when their relationship only goes so far. If it were up to me, there would be a really, really, really, really thick line dividing these two terms. As it stands, there seems to be a synonymous relationship between the two.
People celebrate getting that piece of paper that means they can now walk into the world and try to get jobs that were otherwise inaccessible for whatever reason. Why can’t people celebrate the amount of knowledge they attained during their journey instead of that “paper?” Of course, this is up to them entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Why are you mixing cheating into this? Sooner or later, the cheaters will probably get caught and they'll lose their job! Me and a friend done an experiment with this. We both applied for an internship! We both had the same results, he cheated, I didn't! He lasted 3 weeks before he got fired because they figured out he didn't actually know anything!
This is a new argument all together, but not too far off…It’s all up for grabs, but I have to ask: what happens to the other “qualified” individual with a similar degree who lost to the cheater? The cheater may or may not lose their job in the long run, but damage has already been dealt because of that paper.