View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Argument 3: Then I'll advise asking around with the phrases 「お待ちなさい」、 「ご覧なさい」、「おいでなさい(お出でなさい)」 and 「お召しなさい」

As for the rest of the (お/ご-) Sonkeigo(尊敬語), refer to this post:

Example:
お+座り+なさるー>お座りなさるー>お座りなさい
お+入り+(に)+なさるー>お入り(に)なさるー> お入りなさい

(Also, to further clarify chryuop's post, the standard Sonkeigo for 「食べる」 is 「召し上がる」)
Actually I am going to ask around with a variety of words. I will include some of the ones you ask ie.. the ones with an お〜なさい construction. I am not contesting different varieties of keigo, I am aware of them would prefer you not try to boast your superiority (cuz that is what it seems like you are doing-sorry if i am wrong) by suggesting I read an article on honorific speech in the Japanese language. I am only interested in how people feel about the お〜なさい construction. I want to determine if my feeling about its contemporary usage is correct, (since 3 natives opinions are not enough for you). And if it is limited to only a few words, then I hardly think that warrants it a place in common language today. So I will find out. I will ask people a how they feel about a variety of words and how they feel about the お〜なさい construction overall. Fair enough?