View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

11-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I hate it when people say if you don't play FPS you aren't a 'true', 'real' or 'hardcore' gamer. I think if you only play FPS you are majorly limiting yourself to the rich content that games provide. Saying that, the tag 'gamer' itself is odd. We don't say Movier or Reader etc for people who enjoy other types of entertainment.

( Oh and I voted Black Ops )
I think, in general, it's because gaming is more of an interactive mode of entertainment than the ones you mentioned. It's also very competitive and is usually designed around achieving some kind of goal/meeting a challenge.

I think the term seems okay for simply being a descriptive term. (Not that I'd call myself a hopscotcher if I enjoyed playing hopscotch lol...but maybe I would if the term was coined within the given community.)

As for the FPS debacle: Personally, I don't really care what a person plays/what they play it on. If they're playing games (even if it's just a single genre) then they're gaming which, in turn, makes them gamers. Although I fail to see what the appeal is in the traditional FPS games...Maybe hybrids like systemshock, Bioshock or Dues Ex >.>....but to each his/her own.

Note: I do not actually play hopscotch.

Last edited by ModusOperandi : 11-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.