(#6 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
11-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi masaegu san, could you kindly explain these verbs to me and provide me with a few example sentences.

渡します - Hand over

向かいます - Head for

手に入ります - Come in / Reach

さします - Put up

知り合います - Get acquainted
As for 手に入る, I know it has a counterpart: 手に入れる Which means 'To obtain'. If both of them mean, 'to obtain' then the difference in their meaning comes from the different verbs. This is partially a guess that I'm assuming will either be confirmed or shot down when someone better than I answers your full question, but I'm going to answer to see if I understand the concept.

手に入る is not something that you go out and obtain yourself. It is something that you come across not necessarily because of your own efforts. I can think of a specific instance in a series I'm reading where one character gives the group a boat (for free), and the person receiving the boat says (and I may have this wrong, but the important part is the idiom here) '船が手に入った!'

手に入れる is something you actively obtain, however. Taking One Piece as an example here again (because the examples are readily available in my mind), the intro talks about '[富、名声、力」この世の全てを手に入れた男、海賊王ゴ ルド・ロジャー' '[Money, wealth, power] The man who obtained everything in this world, Pirate King Gold Roger.' One would assume the man didn't receive the title 'Pirate King' because said wealth fame and power fell into his lap.

I don't want to offer any example sentences for fear of sounding unnatural, but this is what I've picked up the two phrases to mean. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected, but hopefully that won't have to happen!