View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by File0 View Post
I didn't say "answered me", so yes, you did!
I have no idea why you are saying "answered me" in quotes.

Quote:
For example shooting with a bow on horseback, or wearing kimonos as casual dresses and wearing traditional hats, or preparing traditional foods (from whale for instance) or eating with wooden chopsticks, or practicing calligraphy etc.
Besides practicing calligraphy and using wooden chopsticks, these traditions have died out. But are not forgotten, for sure.

Quote:
Do you intend to humiliate me, or that's enough?
Again, I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not make a practice of intentionally humiliating people here.

Quote:
I didn't say dead, not at once. I simply asked if it was OK them or not to change things, and don't they become weird after. I used my own experience with my country's ethnography and the people's attitude towards it, I wanted to know how it is there.
You are right though, I'm unsure about this whole thing, so that's why I asked.
In appropriate situations, wearing a kimono is not only not weird, but expected.

Keep in mind a proper kimono is a dress that requires a staff to help dress. It wasn't like all women wore kimono every day in Japan.

Quote:
Remembering things won't kill things!! - I consider memories as ways to FREEZE our (past) life. Do you think something bad will come from them? I doubt we could survive without frozen things - we'd ran into the same mistakes over and over - traditions basically the projections of our common memory. - so yes, I hope they can keep things frozen a bit more !!!
I love cultures and the different counties different ways to look at and capture things, I mainly learned about these things through artifacts, books, records - none of them can provide efficient/decent knowledge about the people who live with/in it. I noticed that native Japanese people make posts here, so I asked, in a hope of some of them might tell me something about it. Guess I'd hold it back for a little more, to chisel it...
This is not what I said. You said "freezing tradition" for the sake of keeping the tradition. This goes back to my first post... this doesn't happen. Traditions either live or they die.