View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Decimus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
???? International? In 1 country they use one word and you say international? In Italian I know for sure chichi means nothing. In English as far as I know it means nothing too and I guess same for French and Spanish. It would be interesting to hear from a German and a Chinese person and we covered the most spoken languages on earth
I'm Chinese.

In pinyin it would be "jiji" (the vowel is slightly different, but that's the closest you can get), but no combination I know of corresponds to 'breast' or 'tit'.

"Cici" does mean 'tit' in Hungarian though. It also has a pronunciation [ˈt͡sit͡si]that is nearly identical to 「ちち」 [t͡sit͡si], 'though it does have a stress on the first syllable. That said, the letter 'č' does not occur in the Hungarian alphabet.

A quick check through Latvian dictionaries (note Evanny's location) gives "zīlīte", "pups" and "muļķis" as equivalents for the English 'tit', but no mention is made of "cici" or "čiči". Furthermore, in the Lavtian alphabet, 'č' corresponds to the consonant [t͡ʃ] (as in the English 'chair') instead of [t͡s] (as in 'Tsar'.). The consonant [t͡s] is written as a plain 'c' in Latvian instead.

The letter 'č' also denotes the consonant [t͡ʃ] in most Eastern European languages.

"čiči" seems to be present in Mongolian though, but in this case it has a meaning similar to 'sprout' or 'prick', but can also be used as a slang term for 'penis'. Think of it as similar to the English word "prick".

This seems to be traceable to some sort of Sino-North Caucasian etymology, and the Korean word "자지" (jaji) is also rather similar. It's also a slang term for 'penis'.

(Please note that most of the examples above can be rather vulgar, and I apologize if anyone took offence.)

Still, this is still hardly 'international', and most of the meanings are ironically different.

Last edited by Decimus : 12-04-2010 at 11:51 PM.