View Single Post
(#58 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-13-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I take it you haven't spent much time in Japanese schools. That "いいなぁ~" by the girls is every other boy in the class trying to figure out how to knock you down four pegs. Japanese kids are cruel, I will say it straight out. All kids are cruel, but the system of trying to fit in at Japanese schools (hair color, no piercings, uniforms, etc.) makes things impossible for kids of mixed races. You want to be the only kid with a katakana last name? You want to be assumed you are perfect at English because one of your parents is white? I have seen the "talento" Bekii on TV say more that once she can't speak English, even though everyone assumes she can.
I remember a mixed race contestant on the dating show Ainori. He was a handsome young man with a German dad and Japanese mom, but he was so hazed and stereotyped he became a video game nerd and lived completely in that world. That's just my observation, nothing more.
You're right I have no experience at all in Japanese schools, I have the luxury of dealing with kids one on one, when they appear to be little angels lol.

I can imagine everything you described though, and envision it's quite true, but what of after school?
The life of a celebrity always sucks, mixed or not.
Getting stereotyped is a fact most of the world deals with except those who live in a place where they are the visible majority, and even then must have no defining traits lol (freckles, red hair, too tall, w/e)
Life does favour the aesthetically pleasing, and mixed people tend to fall in that category more than others.
Life would suck for the ugly mixed person though ><

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.