View Single Post
(#79 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Iv encountered this a few times over the years as well. It happened in high and college with exchange students, and the little knowledge that American's knew about Japanese meant they also thought that "gaijin" meant foreigner. Unfortunately, it took another American to explain the real meaning of the word as they thought the Japanese students were lying to them.

Being called gaijin is not a "naughty" word as some seem to get really touchy over it.
This is a whole different topic, but I agree with you, Sinestra. Because Japanese see themselves differently than the rest of the world, and that is in a neutral way, it only makes sense they would have language that makes that distinction.

To some, simply making that distinction is enough for it to be considered rude or offensive.

Another point on race and culture, I know a married couple that lives near me that is a Japanese-American man (3rd generation, I believe) and a Japanese native woman. While their daughter might be considered multi-cultural, or at least bilingual (the dad speaks almost no Japanese) she wouldn't be considered multi-racial in Japan. The fact that her bloodline is traceable and is pure Japanese means, as I understand, she is considered Japanese. She also has a Japanese passport, as well as an American one.

My point is that blood trumps nationality when it comes to "being Japanese".