View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

How could a "loser" have an extended vacation/live in Japan? - 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Yeah, there's hundreds of posts from people who want to move to Japan, and I'm still reading through many of them for useful information. I'm glad I found this website, it seems like I hit a goldmine of advice and general education about Japan.

I want to move to Japan, but my situation seems slightly different than the average weaboo young adult who wants to pack their belongings and hop on the nearest plane. I do not have a college education and no immediate plans to get one, although in the future I plan on getting a business/music related degree. I have spent most of my life as a touring musician instead of pursuing a career. I'm in my mid-twenties and currently inactive, but that could change come springtime. I'm not wanting to say that I want to permanently relocate to Japan, but prefer to call it something of an extended vacation. I would like to work, rent, and participate in Japanese society while I'm staying there, but I can't say for certain if it's where I'm going to be ten years down the road. I do not speak or read/write the language, but one of my first steps in preparation will be lessons. I am very comfortable financially, although I would still want to work, even if it's part-time or minimum wage. I'm very aloof and it doesn't trouble me at all to make major decisions like this seemingly unplanned compared to how most people would approach them.

I have briefly visited Japan once before, but it was on tour as a roadie and I really wasn't able to experience the country and people. I've always had a minor fascination with Japan through music and art, as well as some light interest in anime subculture, and I'm disappointed that my experience there didn't allow me the time to appreciate the nuances and everyday life of being in the country. I need to come back for an indefinite visitation to see if it's where I want to be, or simply something I need to experience and get out of my system. I'm aware the "proper" course of action would be to learn the language fluently, work towards a degree, and move some years down the road.

I am first and foremost a musician and will need to be located somewhere that can keep me actively involved in a music scene, whether it's playing in bands, recording, attending concerts, or ideally even working in some aspect of the industry. I imagine any major city would have these opportunities available, but perhaps there's some central point to the Japanese industry? If anybody is educated on the overall Japanese music scene, advice here would be appreciated.

So, what's the possibilities of someone who's uneducated and currently only speaks English of spending time in Japan, while supporting himself without relying too much on backup finances? I do not mind working in general labor, and actually prefer physically active employment over something business-oriented, although I'm not picky by any means.

How well can someone get along in the society with basic/survivor understanding of Japanese?

There are other questions to come, but I've written enough already and may add more later. Thanks in advance for any advice!