View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Does Japan still hold any grudge or hard feelings for America from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings anywhere? (military,politics,youth) or have they completely forgaven us, (not forgetting). What do you think?
It's 'forgiven' not 'forgaven'.
Generally if you talk to the average person on the street, then no, there aren't many deep grievances.
Mostly because a lot of people now weren't even born at the time. Politically speaking, America has made it's apologies and worked towards amending it. The general consensus I experienced was that it was a terrible, terrible thing that shouldn't have happened, but that playing the blame game and harbouring unfocussed hatred towards America in general over it is pretty pointless. I got this sentiment from middle-aged people as well as younger people. In fact, the only time I came across any REAL anger about it was an encounter with a very drunk, very old man who cussed out my American friends in a bar. And you know what? The other elderly patrons there were quite genuinely apologetic about it. It was an incredibly rare occurrence, and from what we could gather, the man had lost an awful lot in Hiroshima. Perhaps they would treat older Americans differently, but most older people who broached the subject simply wanted to hear what our thoughts and views on it were as non-japanese, and they were surprisingly open to listen to views of Japan's errors, as much as those of the west.
As far as I'm concerned, you hear more anger and more generalized racism and more full-fledged comments of how it is totally 'unforgivable' in America and the west. I used to work with the elderly here in the UK. Many of them were still VERY anti-Germany and anti-asian, and were adamant that they should be allowed to be so because of their experience in the wars. Defensively so, I mean. I worked with the elderly in Japan too, and there was noticeably less belligerence about it. Perhaps I just worked with rather un-representative groups and my experience is unsual, but there it is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
No one will ever be able to forgive the US for that, or Iraq, or Vietnam, or Korea, etc.
The people who care very very deeply or who have personal experience of it might not be able to forgive things Hiroshima, but for most people, it's hardly a massive issue in their lives. Sure, the average person might say this or that country has done this or that bad thing and I don't agree with it, but the idea of going as far as 'forgiving' or 'not forgiving' probably doesn't even occur to them. They just don't feel that strongly either way about it.

Iraq, Vietnam etc aren't really the topic in hand here either, so I don't see the point in mentioning them.