View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-31-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Also - adding to what MMM said - a lot of major schools have a lot of applicants, insane ammounts really, especially for JET and things, and I think Aeon is one of the top schools, isn't it? It might be easier to look at smaller schools or apply in several places, but some of the older and more experienced members will probably have more to say on the matter and better advice
AEON is pretty huge,
you'll have to be everything a student stereotypically expects a teacher to be, and also not be expecting to advance in your career, you hit max pay the day you start there, and you get no bonuses.

Like MMM also said, English schools are not doing well, the strong yen is slaughtering export companies which are/were a huge revenue to the industry.
I lost a dozen students myself who were in trading businesses.
A major competitor to AEON went bankrupt a few months back, that might have given them a tiny boost of fickle housewives for which they needed to get more teachers quickly, but whatever ad you responded to probably got a ridiculous amount of applicants who have tesol or other certs etc and probably even previous experience teaching English to Japanese people.

In other words, it's a very hard market to break into now as vets of it want to get back in for the same pay. It's a career with very little growth.

If you want in, after reading all that, take a job teaching kids. There are a plethora of them and not a single sane teacher wants them, they are a nightmare, but they get you nice pay and a foot in the door.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.