View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GinaS (Offline)
JF Regular

Czech names in Japanese help please - 01-03-2011, 03:24 AM

I'm working on text that has many German and Czech names and places in it. While I can usually work out what it ought to be with internet searches, sometimes it's still a puzzle, especially since I don't quite understand all the rules about how small katakana affect pronunciation and spelling in other languages (or in English, for that matter). I thought this might be a better part of the forum to find people who are familiar with such names and places.

The name as written in the text is ヤブロネッツ・ナッド・ニソウ

That would seem to be, I think, Jablonetz nad Nisou (nudd? I don't think that can be right, but I don't know what the ッ is doing in there).

I've found Jablonetz as a city in the Jablonec nad Nisou region (which I've seen written as ヤブロネツナドニソウ), but nothing that's actually called Jablonetz nad Nisou. Are the separation marks present in the text crucial? Could Jablonetz nad Nisou be some sort of shorthand for the city of Jablonetz in Jablonec nad Nisou? Am I reading it wrong (seems the mostly likely). Or should I just use Jablonec nad Nisou and call it a day?

Though the work is fiction, I don't think this name is intended to be a fictional place since it's so very nearly the name of an actual place, but I can't tell for sure.