Thread: January trip
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Clayton (Offline)
New to JF

January trip - 01-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Hello folks, I joined here some time ago but haven't got around to posting until now. On January 17 my wife, son & I will be travelling from Australia with another couple & child to Japan for a 10 day whirlwind tour.
We arrive in Osaka at 19:10 on the 17th. Then take a Limousine bus to the New Miyako Hotel in Kyoto. (Q1. It seems we will arrive at the hotel at 22:00. Is this too late to find somewhere to eat?)
The next day we do a morning tour of Kyoto. 2 more nights there (Q2. Any recommendations of other things to see and do in this time? We were going to see Himeji Castle but it's being renovated and is under scaffolding.) then off to Hiroshima on the Shinkansen for 1 night staying at Benten-no-Yado Itsukushima Japanese Rooms. A visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial is on the cards.
Next day back on the Shinkansen to Tokyo staying at the Grand Prince Takanawa Hotel for 3 nights. We do a morning tour of Tokyo on the 22nd and then off to the Sumo Tournament that evening. At some stage we hope to visit the Tsukiji fish markets. (Q3. More recommendations for activities is appreciated here)
Next we take the Shinkansen, then a local train, then a bus to Nozawa Onsen for 3 nights and 2 and a bit days skiing before heading back to Tokyo for a 20:25 flight home on the 27th.
I know it's all rushed but it's better than not going. Anyone see any major flaws in our plans? Your input is appreciated.
Regards.