View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

would it be better to live in tiny apartment or hostel for a year? - 01-07-2011, 02:57 AM

Hi there everyone,

I am a new member and really enjoy reading many of these posts. Anyway, I know there have already been a million "can I teach in japan" questions up here, and I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I specifically want to know where should I live if I actually get there?

I was a japanese major in school, and though I have no real plans yet on what to do with it, I have decided that I'm really willing to pay for the teaching certificate and teach english in Japan for a year. (at least if I never require Japanese again, I can actually say I accomplished something while in Japan ). Ruling out a host family (as some programs offer), I've decided a tiny, tiny apartment would be economically just fine for me--until I realized a hostel offers great rates and amenities. But would living with a bunch of people going in and out for a year really be worth it? Would I even be able to stay a year without extra charges? I know a lot of it will really be ruled by where I end up teaching, but in general, can someone tell me if I would be better off in my own place, or sticking it out in a shared room and board where I'd have the advantage of prepaid utilities?