View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
01-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Cartoon Network in the '90's (since 1995 to be exact) helped me, at least it gave me the push I needed. It wasn't translated like it is now and that made me want to know what all the characters are saying and the written translated movies helped me to get the words and the meanings in different situations, all this long before learning it in school (it was only from 5th grade).
At school it was just a sort of pseudo learning of English, with changing teachers even 5 times a year, and every new one was the same, "Good afternoon", "My name is..." and only this. Grammar, real grammar learning, started in the College, but at that time, I was already having access to the PC and internet (all in English, something that helped me even more), and what I was learning from the teacher was just a conclusion of what I already knew from those sources. Even in College, my teachers changed at a rate of 4 per year, and every teacher with a different style of learning, I was lucky I knew enough to manage, but for the others, was difficult.
Since I graduated with A+ (10 with honor) I can conclude that everything helped me, cartoons, movies, teachers, PC and the internet.

Ahh, later edit here, I forgot about the internet, the one part that "coached" me the most was the IRC chat system.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 01-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.