View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-11-2011, 06:07 AM

I love all the things you mentioned as well, although I do enjoy talking politics which is one of the reasons I frequent this forum!

I'll add that I love the incredible beauty of the country and it's distinct seasons. Especially up here in Hokkaido with true cold, snowy winters and nice warm summers. I've always taken more pleasure from the natural world than the human one and Hokkaido is a perfect place for that. Sort of like Alaska is to the US.

The point about not being bombarded with opinions is a good one. I think it also has to do with us being foreigners here. We are not really expected to follow all the norms this society can impose on it's own populace. This is something experienced by most expats out there in the world. It's more than that though. Australia for instance has become one hell of a 'nanny state'. There are so many rules and laws for everything and they are enforced rigorously. Here I just feel so much more free to live the life I want to live without the government trying to regulate my every move to protect me from myself.