View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

01-17-2011, 04:41 AM

Do you have to turn it in? Because I noticed a typo early on, but it is pronounced the same. Namely, the humble construction お話しします is not written お話します. The latter is what you typed, but the latter is technically pronounced おはなします. But if you're reading it aloud, I'm 99% sure you'll instinctively say おはなしします instead.

A few notes about oral presentations. What I was taught at university in Japan is that you're going to stick with plain form for all your sentence endings.

Often, you will use にて instead of で for location. 東京にて over 東京で, for example.

Quote:
東京(とうきょう)では、他(ほか)の大(おお)きい町(まち)� ��同(おな)じようにとってもおかしいものが多(おお)いい です。しかし、メードカフェは日本(にほん)にしかない� ��んであります。1900年のイギリスのメードの服(ふ く)を着(き)る美少女(びしょうじょ)が客(きゃく)に小(ち� ��)さなスイツやケーキを売(う)る場所(ばしょ)です。メ� �ドカフェは「メード喫茶」も呼ばれて、その言葉(こと� ��)は「メード」と「喫茶店(きっさてん)」から作(つく)� �てあります。伝統的(でんとうてき)なイギリスのメード の服(ふく)じゃないし、普通(ふつう)の家政婦(かせいふ) のイメージじゃないし、その美少女(びしょうじょ)はア� ��メの「燃(も)え」のキャラクターのようなイメージを� �現(ひょうげん)します。
Just a quick attempt at "speechifying" this:
Quote:
東京にては、他の大きい町と同じようにとてもおかしいものが多いはずである。しかし、メードカフェは日本にしかないものもある。1900年のイギリスのメードの服を着る美少女が客 に小さなスイツやケーキを売る場所である。メードカフェは「メード喫茶」も呼ばれ、その言葉は「メード」と「喫茶店」を組み合わせてられた語である。伝統的なイギリスのメードの服ではないし、普通の家政婦のイメージではないし、その美少女はアニメの「燃え」のキャラクター のようなイメージを表現する
Now, I'm sure there are things that could be improved in there, still...made more native. But in the brief second I looked over it, nothing really jumped out at me as YOU WILL GET POINTS DEDUCTED NOW.

A couple of notes:
1. Do not use じゃない in a speech. It sounds low class. It's like the old rule about not using contractions in formal writing in English: don't say "can't," say "cannot." In Japanese, don't use じゃ instead of では in formal speaking. Similarly, 〜ものである, not 〜もんである.
2. In formal speaking, don't use the てform to join phrases; use the...I don't know how to say it...basically use the stem. You can see I did that a few places above. For example, if you say 図書館に行って、勉強しました, in a speech, you would structure this sentence as 図書館に行き、勉強した。

I wonder if anyone will step in and give you any other pointers. I think I caught a grammar error when you said a word is made from two others. In that case, you need to use the passive, not active, voice. Not 作る, but 作られる.

Also, I'm not sure about this one, but why did you use 大きい but use 小さな instead of 小さい or 大きな?

I sort of stopped, too. I don't know if you'll get much more help since this is long and you admitted it was your school assignment, but I at least want to assure you that it doesn't strike me as something you'll fail because of.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 01-17-2011 at 05:13 AM.