View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-18-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarugetchu View Post
I wasn't actually aware of this rule, and I don't know how I've come this far without looking into it properly or stumbling across it. In fact I remember asking my teacher in Japan about the distinction and was told you have to learn on a case by case basis, which I never understood. Thank you, I won't forget it now! (same goes for the kodomo kanji, and みたいに!)
This rule is actually quite simple and very useful as long as you study Japanese.

に: Only several stationary verbs take it. ある、いる、住む、泊まる, etc. and all the "compound + する" words denoting a form of existing or staying such as 滞在する、存在する, etc. 

で: All other verbs signifying an "action" or "active participation". 

Quote:
I'm not actually aware of the difference if I'm honest. I'm not great with kanji. Is 速く more related to speed (eg. quickly) and 早くmore to do with time of day (eg. early)?
That is correct. Though I'm foreign to the English language, I would imagine that one would use "quickly" or "fast" rather than "early" when saying "The waitress brought the dish ( )", would one not?

Quote:
Firstly, I changed かわいさ物 to かわいい物
I was going for the meaning "Even if they are not interested in the ‘sexuality’ of the maids, this cute image appeals to women." Does this sentence not mean that? I found this really difficult to say.
Unless, are you suggesting that I follow this up with a sentence concluding what it means that Maid Cafes appeal to women? I got a little confused.
As I type, I still see かわいさ物 in your post but nevermind.  The best way I could change it to would be かわいさそのもの or かわいさこそ.

I'm not suggesting that another sentence be added for explanation (because the change I've just made would sufficiently serve to emphasize the cuteness itself).

Quote:
Does using 時間に対しmean along the lines of "according to time" or "in relation to the time"?
Yes. it does. You just cannot say 時間にお金を払わなければなりません.
You don't "pay the time", do you? You pay someone for the time.

Quote:
I was a bit confused by using は in this sentence. I wanted to say "They certainly do not consider gay people." but wouldn't changing 同性愛者 to the subject make it "Gay people do not consider it"? Should I perhaps change it to もちろん同性愛者は考慮さられていません。? I find this a bit confusing.
Who said anything about changing 同性愛者 to the subject? You seem to have some misinformed and oversimplified ideas about the more important particles. (But you aren't the only one.) The subject is the "hidden" hostess bars even if you use は there. You blindly labeled the noun that physically existed in print in front of it as the subject, but that is not how Japanese works.

If I had a last message to Japanese-learners, it would be:
"Whenever you see a verb, actively look for the subject and object as they are very often not even mentioned. Do this wrong and you will get the whole sentence wrong, sometimes even the whole writing" And there is even no exaggeration here.

By using は, you can emphasize "同 性愛者" more naturally than when you use を. 

Quote:
Probably a silly question, but why do I have no choice?
Also, my use of ikeru was because I was trying to say "Maids or hostesses can live their own private life so they represent the modern woman, but in their work they are expected to be submissive to men." Would it just be better with 私生活ができる ?
Because if you say AかB, you are implying only one of them applies. By using や, you are saying "and/or", which I thought was what you meant.

But what is 生ける? Look it up in a good dictionary and it will tell you that it means "to arrange flowers (in a vase)". I am sure you know the word 生け花.  It does not have another meaning. Or does this just mean you still have problems in forming the potential, passive voice, etc?

私生活 means "private life". Are you sure this is what you want to say, though? I myself would lean more towards "independent life", which would be 自立した生活, but you are the author.

Quote:
I see how this is awkward now, but I just was wondering about ように思います, which I noticed you again mentioned later. Is this like saying "I think along these lines"? Just so I can use it again in the future.
Exactly. It's a softer way of saying ~~と思います and is very much preferred by us even if when are 100% certain of something.