(#54 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't think this is as true about sunglasses as it used to be. I would not call sunglasses "super rare," I have bought many pairs there. What I would say is don't wear sunglasses indoors, and take them off when meeting or talking to someone you don't know or don't know well.
They may sell them, but the only time I have seen them on someone normal (ie. Not a gangster / fashionista) is in a car while driving. And even then it`s rare enough to really notice. In mid-summer, on a two hour trip, you might spot one or two people wearing sunglasses while driving. People other than tourists just don`t really seem to wear them around at all.

Quote:
Dressing for the occasion is very important in Japan, and what West Coast Americans consider casual is sometimes TOO casual in Japan. Tank tops, flip flops, bermuda shorts, etc. for example, are only appropriate at the beach, really. Japanese casual would still be a collared shirt (i.e. polo shirt) and khaki pants, for example.
Skipping the examples that go overboard - THIS THIS THIS. Japan just has a different standard when it comes to clothes. You can almost ALWAYS spot foreign tourists based on their tank tops, shorts, and sandals (in the summer) even if they are of 100% Japanese descent.
It`s not quite as bad as it used to be - but there is also a designated point for switching from long to short sleeve. Even if it`s really hot, you just won`t see people wearing short sleeves until you get to that changeover point. Again - tourists usually don`t notice this so will be wearing short sleeves long before everyone else.

Anyway, as MMM said - casual in Japan is more like "business casual".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.