(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomana View Post
Seriously? My baby is about to be born and I'm glad I read this. Thanks for the info!
This was my experience when my son was born 6 years ago.
I probably would never have known had he not been in the hospital for 5 months after birth.
When I contacted the embassy, I was told that there was no way to receive citizenship without his physical presence (understandable), and that if I couldn`t get him there in the next 3 months then I would be out of luck. It was suggested that I consult with the hospital to take him to a distant city with full medical support staff.

After discharge, we contacted the embassy again and were quoted some incredible additional fees. And it isn`t like it is cheap to begin with! (Something like $500? I recall the additional fees being something like $800 and another $500 or close for processing...) We were also told that they could only begin the processing if we were able to present proof of the reason we couldn`t bring my son to the embassy earlier - and a witness to the birth and my son`s later care. (So... a doctor from the birth, and a doctor from intensive care - plus a verified translator, and records of the doctors` authenticity.)

None of this was feasible, so my son does not have US citizenship.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.