View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Winter is cold and snowy throughout the island and there's not a whole lot you can do unless you want to go skiing or snowshoeing. Sure seeing frozen lakes and snow on the beach is pretty cool and the ice festival in Sapporo is a great experience but unless you're into winter sports I'd suggest coming in the summer.
Most of the island has mild summers and in some parts of the far north and north east they are actually pretty cool with some areas barely getting temperatures into the 20's (celcius) until August. In the central area like around Furano and Asahikawa or over on the plains near Obihiro it is actually quite warm and almost hot at times with temps sometimes getting up into the mid thirties. If you come in June most of the higher mountains will still have drifts of snow remaining which makes a great contrast with the verdant green of the valleys.
Around the coastal areas it remains pretty mild with temps rarely getting above 30. There are some incredibly beautiful lakes around the island like Shikotsuko, Toyako and Akanko which are great areas for camping (if you're into that) or have nice ryokans you can stay at.
In terms of cities I'd really recommend Hakodate and Otaru and of course Sapporo.
Anyway if there's any particular area you'd like advice on let me know. I've been to most parts of the island.