View Single Post
(#68 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
If you're an average Japanese male and even the average gaijin male, in an average neighborhood, probably so.

However, if you add the following factors, the probabilities can sky-rocket upward:

1. You are a woman - Japanese or otherwise - who returns home late at night, either from work or from drinking.
2. You're a foreign woman that stands out physically - eg. blonde hair, tall, and/or attractive.
3. You drink alcohol at night.
4. You live in a ground floor residence.
5. You live in one of the 'crime hot spots' like shown in the Tokyo Metropolitan Police sites:

Chances are if you match two or more of the above criteria, you have some fucked up stories to tell.
That's fair enough . . . but those criteria surely apply to anywhere? I mean it doesn't matter if I'm in America, Japan, South Africa or India . . . if I was a hot, blonde foriegner that was drunk and alone in a notorious crime spot I think it's only logical that I'd attract some attention. You get criminals anywhere, so anyone in those stated criteria is putting themselves at risk. It's commonsense.

I think the original post was something like 'are Japanese men in particular dangerous', or at least that's the vibe I get without rereading a bunch of posts years old . . . If that's the case then I don't think your criteria or a bunch of other people's anecdotes count for much. Japan has one of the lowest crime rates that I know - its rates for violent crimes are four times lower of that in the UK (last time I checked). If you ask me that simply proves one fact: crimes still happen, but far less than they do elsewhere. Does that make Japanese men "dangerous" as the thread asks? No. It makes people as a whole dangerous, with some simply more or less so than others.

Final comment: take precautions, use commonsense, stay sharp, and just act as you would in any other country in regards to avoiding crimes.