View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Sure, if you don't include Nel's baby-talk on Bleach, or the constant "dattebayo!" in Naruto as slang or inappropriate Japanese to be teaching a beginner . . . If I sat through an episode of either I'm sure the slang, colloquialisms and contractions of speech would far outweigh any benefits to having sat through said episode studying it.
What is there to include? I never seen Bleach but things like "だってばよ!” consists of what.....5% of the actual dialogue they say??

Let's say that Naruto says "dattebayo!" 5 times an episode....that's like 1% of the time that he will use that word....everything else that he says will be actual vocabulary and real Japanese.

If you sat through an episode you will pick up the slang the fastest...because they're the easiest to remember. I don't recommend sitting through an episode. I recommend UNDERSTANDING every single sentence that is coming out of their mouths. Understanding, and listening comprehension are the most important thing. Even if you have to listen a thousand times a day...just understanding is so important.

And plus, I'm sure Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck speaks absolutely fluent English. Sure, they may have childish "inflections" in their tone that suggests that it's a kids' show. But mostly...it's still the same stuff.

A cartoon character may talk like " Hey you, get off my chair!"

While in real Life you say "hey...please get off my chair"

Is there really that much of a difference here???

Whatever....just do what you think helps you