(#196 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-22-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOfThought View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, I didn't, but I'll look for it next time I go shopping, and if I can't find it, well, I guess I'll just try a little bit of grated potato, like you said. I'll include agedama next time as well. Hopefully it'll taste even better! =D

I couldn't find any "real" okonomiyaki sauce either, so I kinda made my own okonomiyaki sauce from different recipes I found online. I don't think it tastes anything like the real deal, but I still liked it! It was something like this:

4 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of sake (Gekkeikan)
1-2 teaspoons of soy sauce
brown sugar (can't remember how much I used)
a little bit of honey
about 1 teaspoon of mirin
some ginger...powder...thing

I think that's it...

oh, and I also put some "vårlök" (I think they're called scallions in english) on top of the okonomiyaki. I heard that you're supposed to use konegi, but I don't know if it's the same or not.. they kinda look the same, at least!
One thing you could do next time is make tempura one day so that agedama will be made automatically as a byproduct and use it for okonomiyaki the next day.

Your sauce recipe looks great. I had thought you were going to say just worcestershire sauce and ketchup, which is what I would do if I didn't live in Japan. When I was a kid, most cheap okonomiyaki places around me used just worcestershire. Even now, I still prefer using just worcestershire and maiyo. Right now, the Osaka or Hiroshima style sauce is so prevalent in Japan but to me, it's just too sweet, which puts me in the minority these days.