View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-07-2011, 12:23 PM

My advise would be to go visit the country for about a month and see how it fits in with your opinion of the country.

From what I've gathered here, there are quite a few like you, more of them less prepared, who want to move to Japan to "start anew" for lack of a better term. They believe Japan is the cure-all for their woes when in reality, it is they who are flawed....

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, I've read this quite a few times here. You're going to get many responses here with quite a few direct questions about "how can anyone see Japan as their Eden if they haven't even spent a minute there". Most of the people who will ask are those living there now and subject to all there is to be endured living there. They are going to be your best resource. But I'm sure they're not going to paint a pretty picture. They're going to be realistic and quite harsh, but none of that is personal. They are very informed people and very cool.

I have visited there twice as a tourist. It is a much different scenario, because you have a finite number of days, and no matter what happens, a B777 will be taking you back to all you know in a few days. I once spent 2 years in northern Honshu, but that was under NSA auspices. That doesn't count as much because, while I did have a house in the local economy, I was always at the air base for work. I didn't have to fend for myself all that much.

I'm sure you're going to get good advise from the people here. Heed them is all I ask!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 03-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.