View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Thank you for the corrections, again, masaegu!
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Not entirely wrong or anything but did you flip the main and sub clauses?
Yes, I did. I wasn't sure which was the "main" clause because one seemed like the main clause from context, but the book's lesson seemed to indicate the main clause was the other. I was confused.

Quote:
It may just be my English, but would you use "anthology" to refer to a collection of writings by a group of students (who would most likely be amateurs)?
I'm not really sure what the correct English term is. "Collection of short stories we wrote"? "Anthology" may be slightly too "professional" a term to use for student pieces (unless they're university or MFA students), but I went with it just because I wasn't sure what word to use otherwise. I do understand the word in Japanese, though, and can use it fine.

Quote:
校庭?
Yup. Darn this kana-input-spacebar-hitting input system (and my sloppy eyeballs)!

Quote:
Finally a serious mistake! This 断り does not mean "refusal" but it means "notice" or "asking for permission".
Now, 「断りなしに」 should make much more sense to you.
Yes! I originally just read it as "asking for permission," but that was as my eyes scanned the sentence. When I actually got down to parsing it, I remembered "no, wait, 断る is 'refuse'" and went with that. I was so confused because that sentence made no sense to me with it being translated as "refuse." Thank you for clearing that up!

Quote:
And 人の部屋, in this context, means "my room". Advanced learners MUST learn to use this 人 as a first-person pronoun. See Usage #8 in the link below.
ひと【人】 の意味とは - Yahoo!辞書
Very interesting, and thank you! I have literally never been made aware of this usage. I will study it now.