View Single Post
(#458 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post western media - 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
One thing you need to understand about the western media tipsy is that they are excited as hell about what has happened in Japan and are working themselves into a frenzy over spreading fear as this is how they sell papers and keep their ratings up. The more dramatic they can keep things the better and the truth in the end means little. I can't tell you how many times already I have seen totally inaccurate reports from western media about what has happened here. Don't trust all you see in the western media. And that goes for some of the major ones like CNN and BBC. I have seen just today them reporting totally wrong data on a supposed earthquake in Nagano which never actually happened. I'd be trusting more what you hear in the media here than I would from most of these foreign news outlets many of which base their stories on little more than speculation and love nothing more than to sensationalise everything to increase their sales.
What do you think about quotes from the mentioned NY Times article :

Christopher D. Wilson, a reactor operator and later a manager at Exelon’s Oyster Creek plant, near Toms River, N.J., said, “normally you would just re-establish electricity supply, from the on-site diesel generator or a portable one.” Portable generators have been brought into Fukushima, he said.

Fukushima was designed by General Electric, as Oyster Creek was around the same time, and the two plants are similar. The problem, he said, was that the hookup is done through electric switching equipment that is in a basement room flooded by the tsunami, he said. “Even though you have generators on site, you have to get the water out of the basement,” he said.

or

To pump in the water, the Japanese have apparently tried used firefighting equipment — hardly the usual procedure. But forcing the seawater inside the containment vessel has been difficult because the pressure in the vessel has become so great.

One American official likened the process to “trying to pour water into an inflated balloon,” and said that on Sunday it was “not clear how much water they are getting in, or whether they are covering the cores.”

The problem was compounded because gauges in the reactor seemed to have been damaged in the earthquake or tsunami, making it impossible to know just how much water is in the core.

or

Usually when a reactor is first shut down, an electric pump pulls heated water from the vessel to a heat exchanger, and cool water from a river or ocean is brought in to draw off that heat.

But at the Japanese reactors, after losing electric power, that system could not be used. Instead the operators are dumping seawater into the vessel and letting it cool the fuel by boiling. But as it boils, pressure rises too high to pump in more water, so they have to vent the vessel to the atmosphere, and feed in more water, a procedure known as “feed and bleed.”

When the fuel was intact, the steam they were releasing had only modest amounts of radioactive material, in a nontroublesome form. With damaged fuel, that steam is getting dirtier.

Do you consider them examples of fearmongering?