View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

03-14-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Japan is the world's third richest country. I don't mean to sound heartless because I'm sorry for the tragedy. But my charity will be going elsewhere to people who needed it before the Earthquake (as it always does).

It's ironic giving charity to a country that is so rich and probably quite thouroughly insured.

It's like giving money to Charlie Sheen if his house blew up.
This thread is running concurrently with another website, a person said something similar to what you said. I understand what you mean.

Japan has massive debt, far more as a % of GDP than even us. They have no money. If their economy collapses it will affect us all. Donate through a charity and they'll redistribute that money where it's needed. You won't be giving money to Japan, you'll be giving money that will be used to help its people.

The government does not fund charities, they are funded by ordinary people like you and I. They need financing to do their job, that's a reality.

Yeah it would be better to physically go out there and help them out, but if you see the scale of destruction along the coast of the country and with nearly 10,000 people missing. There is only so much the government can do with it's own man power. This is where foreign help is needed, charities offer additional manpower needed to facilitate the number of people left homeless. Even if some may eventually find safety, there are many parts that are cut off. Aid agencies are able to deal with the humanitarian side (food, medical aid, and shelter) while the government carries out search and rescue. These first few days are critical for the survivors of the disaster.

Thanks.

On another note, WolfMom recommended the following website, it suggests very good ways that people can help.

Japan earthquake: How you can help - Time Out Tokyo

Credit to @WolfMom.

Last edited by kouichisan : 03-14-2011 at 09:31 PM.