View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
It's a developed country and they may get houses rebuilt for them, but how long will that be? houses aren't built in a month, the regeneration project will still take a while. Even if they are given temporary relocation, it won't be so quick before they do that. That leaves those survivors still in a bad position.

The government and charities would provide temporary places they can stay, like tents and provide food for them (until they can be relocated) of course that costs money for the charities. It takes time, these people affected in the coast were ordinary Fishermen, do you think all of them bought life insurance?. And you have said so yourself, what they need is manpower, these charities are well organised, and have the resources to provide temporary medical care until they can be transferred to hospitals. This saves lives.

The aid being provided by these charities will be short term. Even if there is money left over, that is better, they would be able to use that on other projects perhaps even in the areas you mentioned.

The charities would provide Temporary Short-Term assistance, and it does make a difference. Anyway if whichever country you are in was affected like this, you would want foreign help too. Especially if your government was struggling to deal with it.
That's great. But like I said.. the Japanese government are more than capable of footing the bill for assistance that is NOT given by other states.

I have no problem with the New Zealand government helping out the Japanese government (which is what has happened) but I do have a problem with me as a civilian, having to foot the bill to provide temp relief for a government which is more than capable of doing it.

Also.. I had a similar attitude towards the recent disaster in my own country. I volunteered at a shelter for displaced tourists that had fled to my city, but I wasn't going to donate my OWN money to relief agencies when the New Zealand government is more than capable of providing that relief.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-14-2011 at 11:26 PM.