(#546 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-16-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Thank you, Nyororin. I was trying to figure out why there would be shortages where things should be in plentiful supply. I didn't consider the hoarding factor.
Imagine all the おばさん who buy 10 packs of something because the saw something on the news say it was healthy, and who will buy and extra 5 packs of something they`ll never use just because it is on sale... being told by media rumors that they might not be able to buy any at ALL if they don`t run out and buy it RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

And imagine that on a Tokyo-wide scale.

That is pretty much what is at the root of the shortages, from what I understand. They all ran out RIGHT NOW!!! and bought up all they could find, making a real shortage. So everyone else who wouldn`t normally hoard without a really good reason has kind of been pushed into it.

The amount of negativity I have seen being expressed toward the people who are running around to get around the gas rationing (after filling 3 or 4 poly tanks with gas before the rationing, CAUSING the rationing to begin with) and the older women who are buying up toilet paper by the pallet has been pretty impressive.

I`m finding the whole toilet paper thing fascinating, as it is stemming from the memories of the shortage in the 1973 oil crisis thing... which was also not a REAL shortage, but a hoarding issue. However, in people`s minds, "gasoline shortage" is linked to a lack of toilet paper - even if there is no real "gasoline shortage", and the last case didn`t have an effect on toilet paper production - just triggered rumors that caused a mass hoarding event...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-16-2011 at 12:17 AM.